Student Welfare
Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate

When students from other countries come to study in New Zealand, it is important they are well informed, safe, and properly cared for. 

support this, the New Zealand government has developed the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice – often referred to as “the Code.” This document is administered by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). All education providers enrolling international students are required to be signatories to the Code. 

Rongotai College is proud to be a signatory to the Code of Practice and takes its obligations seriously. 

What do I do if something goes wrong?
 If you have concerns about your treatment by your school or by your agent, the first thing you must do is contact the principal, the international student director, or another person who has been identified to you as someone that you can approach about complaints at your school. The Code requires all institutions to have fair and equitable internal grievance procedures for students and you need to go through these internal processes before you can take the complaint any further.

If your concerns are not resolved by the internal grievance procedures, you can contact the international Education Appeal Authority (IEAA).


A Summary of the Code of Pastoral Care of International Students
 Full details of what is covered can be found in the Code itself. The Code sets standards for educational providers to ensure that:

  • High professional standards are maintained.
  • The recruitment of international students is undertaken in an ethical and responsible manner
  • Information supplied to international students is comprehensive, accurate, and up-to-date.
  • Students are provided with information prior to entering into any commitments.
  • Contractual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner.
  • The particular needs of international students are recognised.
  • International students under the age of 18 are in safe accommodation.
  • All providers have fair and equitable internal procedures for the resolution of international student grievances.
  • The International Education Appeal Authority (IEAA).and the Review Panel receives and adjudicates on student complaints.

International Education Appeal Authority (IEAA)
The purpose of the IEAA is to adjudicate on complaints from international students. The IEAA will investigate complaints and determined there has been a breach of the Code. The IEAA has the power to impose sanctions on educational providers who have committed a breach of the Code that is not a serious breach. These sanctions include an order for restitution, publication of the breach, and / or requiring that remedial action be undertaken.

The IEAA will refer complaints that are not about pastoral care to another regulatory body if appropriate.

The educational provider will be given a reasonable time to remedy the breach. If the breach is not remedied within that time, the IEAA may refer the complaint to the Review Panel.

The Review Panel can remove or suspend an educational provider as a signatory to the Code, meaning that the provider would be prevented from taking any more international students. Only the IEAA can refer complaints to the Review Panel.

You can write to the IEAA at:
 The International Education Appeal Authority,
 C/- Ministry of Education
 P O Box 1666
 or e-mail [email protected]