Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, we can help you to do this at Rongotai College. It is easy to do and we will help you.

Our homestay families are experienced and they are well supported by the International Department. Many have been hosting students for many years. We have regular contact with our homestay families to make sure they met our expectations. Their houses are checked and household members over the age of 18 are police vetted. We also meet with you regularly to find out how you are feeling about your host family. We have a Homestay Manager who is contactable 24/7 if you have an issues with your host families.

Yes, we would prefer our international students to be with an English speaking family to help improve their English. You can also stay with family member or family friend approved by school.

You may travel with other families or your own natural parents around New Zealand. We can help you do this. We can also help you to join a tour around New Zealand with your age group or you can join a school organised trip overseas or around New Zealand. Remember! We also take all new international students on a camp for 2 days to the Wairarapa in February. You will have the opportunity to go rafting, abseiling, high rope climbing and sometimes surfing.

All international students must have medical and travel insurance that covers their time in New Zealand. We can arrange this for you.

Yes, in year 9 - 11 classes. We also have a Science and Mathematics Support class that provide extra language support for year 11 science and mathematics and year 12 & 13 mathematics.

Yes, this is possible. For example, students who are good at mathematics may work at a higher level. We have a lot of experience at working out a study plan that will suit all students and we will advise them on the best path of study after assessing their English level and looking at their previous school record.

NZ Immigration rules allow senior students (year 12 & 13) to work up to 20 hours a week. However we only allow you to work 10 hours a week during term time. Your student visa must state that you are allowed to work while studying at Rongotai College. If not, you need to apply for a variation of condition to allow you to work. We can help you to do this.

New Zealand's National Certificates of Educational Achievement (NCEA) are national qualifications for senior secondary school students. It is recognised by employers, and used for selection by universities and polytechnics, both in New Zealand and overseas.

To get into university in New Zealand:

  • You must pass at least four Year 13 subjects depending on the university you wish to attend. Many students achieve good results in the following subjects Math (calculus), Math (statistics), Economics, Geography, Physics, Chemistry, Art - Design, Art - Painting, Accounting, Mandarin, Japanese, and Spanish. All universities now require passes in 4 or 5 subjects.
  • Also you must pass at least 10 NCEA credits of Year 12 English. You can do these credits in either mainstream English and/or English Language classes
  • You must also pass mathematics at Year 11 level (or higher).

It is important to check the website of each university for their entry requirements. You may need different grades for some courses.

*If your question is not answered here, please contact us and we will do our best to answer any query that you may have.