Rongotai College has four houses, each named after a former Headmaster, and led by a House Captain. The houses are:
This structure unites the different year levels under one banner. Students participate for their House in activities such as athletic sports, swimming sports and other events. House points are assigned to houses for participation and placings in these events. The H.T.M. Fathers Memorial Shield is awarded at prizegiving to the House that gains the most points throughout the year as a result of their participation in these activities.
Each House is made up of 8 vertical form classes. Students are placed in a form class and House on enrolment and remain in that class and House throughout their time at school. Students from the same family are placed in the same House, but in a different form class within the House.
A strong House System:
- Encouraging students to develop a sense of belonging and a supportive interaction with boys from other year levels
- Stimulates competition in a wide variety of student activities
- Provides opportunities for leadership
- Fosters teamwork and co-operation
- Increases school spirit
- Helps creates a positive learning environment for both students and teachers. Having a positive learning environment is one of the many things that make going to school exciting
- Helps to develop and foster relationships among people
- Increases pride in being a Rongotai College student